August 17, 2009

Peachy Keen

That's how I feel about life right now.

When things happen now, I think, "DANG! I should totally blog about that!" But then I realize that I would rather give a friend a hug. Or, let's be honest, have a glass of red wine and kick it with people I haven't been able to spend some q.t. (quality time, that is) with this year. And then next thing I know, I'm nearly a month behind. But, at least it isn't a month. Because, in reality, I think when people get that far off track with something they just let it be thinking it's harder to jump back on the train. Anyways, I want to let you know what I'm going to be doing with my life this year! No more of that ambiguous, fingers-crossed behind my back type thing.

Two Thursdays ago I was accepted into the Fashion Marketing program at Parsons (The New School) for Design here in Manhattan. I'd had that as my goal for a couple of months, but I wanted to tend to Miss NY things, wrap 'em up, and of course, being a slight procrastinator, apply on the last day of rolling applications. I had this gurgly feeling in my stomach that it might be like that awesome Teach For America email I got in 2K7 letting me know they didn't need my help on their "force". Or, whatever incredibly fierce term they use. When I say awesome, I'm not being sarcastic. It took me a while to realize it but in the long run my life has totally panned out as it should have. But, nay, this said "CONGRATULATIONS". At that point, without reading any further, I called my mom who got a little excited, but assured me she had faith in my abilities. FYI: that's what she said before the TFA email. But, I digress.

Anyhow, the news came at a perfect time. I had just settled back here in NYC after some time in VA and I was gearing up to head to Costa Rica with Paul's family. I actually sent my application acceptance letter via Costa Rican fax. My next blog will be about the trip. Here are some tid-bits to keep your eyes on the lookout: horses that go backwards, roads so awesomely gravel-ly they make your license plates hang by a single bolt, and zip-lining through canyons. All done with 7 of the coolest people around. What. A. Blast.

Which makes it easy for you to understand why I didn't want to peel myself out of bed this morning to go to ... SCHOOL! Not Parsons, though. New York Bartending School. I'm not kidding, y'all. I'm going to be a bartender here in NYC. Still think I'm kiddding? Come find me and my stained hands after pouring 8 hours of rails and martinis. Stained because we use fake juice and liquor (obviously, or we'd be wasting dollah dollah bills). It was so much fun. I'll keep you filled in on the week, too. Because goodness knows there will be mucho (see my Spanglish infiltrating after a week of immersion?) to share.

Until then, I hope your Mondays were as blessed as mine.

I'm a lucky girl and believe me, I'm super grateful.

PS: My mom's facebook status yesterday was, "Leigh-Taylor is home!!! hiphiphooray!!!!!". I'm considering going to Paris in the Spring to study for a semester (though Paul wants me to stay until July for an extra excuse to come out for the Tour, but again I digress) ... I was only gone a week. You do the math. Skype, anyone?

No comments: