October 9, 2009

Re-Evaluation

In a previous post I alluded to the fact that I allow myself to be consumed by my workload. And, I've got to tell you the amount of work assigned at Parsons is unreal. When they told us during our orientation that we would get a minimal amount of sleep (ie: 4 hours) most nights, if any at all, they really weren't joking. Top that with my OCD tendencies, I keep my face in my books all day.

Integrating myself back into the college community as well as adjusting my mindset has been a slight hurdle. Yet my pitfall has been how I respond to the overwhelming pressures I receive both from the external as well as internally.

When I put my mind to something I put blinders on and I'm determined to achieve the goal. What I've realized is not only do I sacrifice a bit of my sanity, I sometimes lose my consideration of those surrounding me. Totally unacceptable.

I read the following passage this morning and I thought it should be shared; Ephesians 1: 1-2. "As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love."

Essentially I like to be completely in control, I strongly dislike surprises, I really like structured schedules, etc. I am so focused on the destination that I forget to enjoy the journey. With that I become slightly impatient and brash. And, along the way, I begin to forget my purpose and God's purpose for me. While I will probably never really enjoy surprises, or completely un-tailored schedules, I want to continually strive to embrace the journey God has had planned for me for ages. And I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

No comments: