November 19, 2009

Fashion for Action

2 Things I Love: Fashion and kicking AIDS in the face.

I love other things and people, too. But that is neither here nor there.

Anyways, tonight is the annual Fashion for Action event held by Housing Works. Housing Works is an incredibly rad organization based here in the city that has provided life-saving services such as housing, food, medical, HIV-prevention and job training to more than 20,000 homeless low-income New Yorkers living with HIV and AIDS. They have thrift stores around the city as well as a bookstore, that provide the funding to support their work. What's awesome about this is that Housing Works employs many of the people they help get back on track ... I can't even begin to tell you all of the amazing things this organization has done. But I can tell you that it's the nation's largest grassroots AIDS service organization. That says a lot in itself.

Over 150 designers have donated over $1 million worth of merchandise to be sold in their thrift shops around the city ... and to kick it off they're having a VIP preview event as well as a kick-off party. Party? Did someone say PARTY?

Indeed. Indeed, they did!

Last year it was my first event with my partner in crime Kate Shindle. In my next post I'll show you the photos from last year to this year to show our growth. And this year mine will have a glass of champagne toasting to the OUSTING of AIDS. A stain on humanity which we are going to wipe clear.

YOU WITH ME?

No comments: