May 28, 2009

My Wonderfully Wild Wednesday.

Yesterday I popped out of bed fairly early to take the train to the Upper East Side's prestigious Regis High School. An all boys institution responsible for inspiring the name of the one and only Regis Philbin. I was warned prior to my presentation that the 275 boys I would be speaking to are incredibly intelligent. Over 1,000 boys apply during their 8th grade year and go through a series of written and oral tests which widdle the classes down to approximately 150 students. So, I upped the ante a bit on my RJR and braces myself for the deeply intellectual questions I would be asked. And so, I will now share them with you ... (okay, maybe only the funny ones, but still ...)

Right out of the gates I was asked:

1. "So, you said 52 states competed at Miss America. If I was taught correctly there are only 50 states. Am I incorrect?" Okay, so clearly this was said with a bit of a condescension in tone.

My response: "Perhaps I should have phrased it as 50 states and 2 territories. District of Columbia and Virgin Islands are included in the Miss America competition. Now, just recently, Puerto Rico was added. " I also used the phrase, "before you get a little too big for your britches" but I can't remember where ...

2. "Is Miss Congeniality your favorite movie?"

My response: "While I appreciate the humor in the movie I would like to think of myself as more of an intellectual." (Subtext: Mean Girls is my favorite movie.)

But, in all seriousness, these guys were so respectful and incredibly attentive. I sincerely appreciated their candor.

Then I hopped over to Starbucks for a short meeting with a dear friend of a dear friend who I am going to help with getting more access into schools with her non-profit. More details to be talked about later ... but until things are in place I don't want to jinx myself!

Trained it home, quick nap, plugged in the curlers and started the beautification process for Jerry Nadler's Congressional Gala which I was invited to attend. Spoiler: by the end of this event my heart was full. I was going to wear a long beautiful blue gown but due to some water spillage I threw on a trusty Betsey Johnson cocktail dress and high-tailed it out of my apartment. As soon as I walked in I was beyond relieved that I didn't wear the gown. Everyone else was in a power-suit. Or, a black sheath. Thus I thanked God for my clumsiness.

Two minutes after my arrival I met Jack Gallagher, Lord only knows what he does, but he said he attended these events nearly every night. And for some glorious reason he took to me. After making me promise that when I finally agree to marry someone that I have to make sure he signs everything over to me. I laughed, and he did not. He was instrumental in introducing me to those I met while at the event. Jerry Nadler, who was very gracious, is a Congressman who defends our Constitution on Capitol Hill, as well as fights for the equal and civil rights of all Americans. When he spoke I wanted to cheer. The whole time. One of the notable things he said in reference to gay marriage was, "we are allowed to disagree, but not to deny." YES.

Anyways, I met Jerry Nadler, Charles Schumer, Tom DiNapoli, and as for the others, they have stories.

I once again saw Governor Paterson who this time said, "Yes, I remember you. And, I've heard a bit about you since I last saw you. Where are you from originally?" "I'm originally from Virginia." "Okay, that's right. And people have given you a bit of a hard time, no? Well if in 1998 Miss Italy was from the Dominican Republic you can surely represent the state of New York. And if anyone says anything about it, tell them I endorse you." My insides are still smiling.

Secondly, I met Bill Clinton. In his speech he said, "Finally the rest of the country is beginning to follow suit of New York City. A place where people come from everywhere, and that's what makes us great."

You guys. This is a good sign at the beginning of the end of my year. But, now I've got to get myself in gear to head off to an appearance which I will gladly blog for you later.

No comments: