April 17, 2009

Wednesday's Festivities!

This past Wednesday I went to the Sacred Heart school on the UES (Upper East Side for all of you non-New Yorkers) to give a couple of my RJR presentations. Do you remember when I wrote about how I was a little timid about giving the Cum Laude speech at Hampton Roads Academy a couple of weeks ago? Well, this was an all girls school that Gossip Girl must base some of their characters/school off of. If anything can revert me to feeling like an awkward, slightly insecure 14 year old this is it. Times 10.

But, insecurities aside I gave my first presentation and these girls were AH-MAZING. I always open up to questions following the presentation, encouraging an open dialogue about smoking, underage drinking, and drug abuse. Often times I get a few questions about smoking and drinking but then they usually start to head to me about my year as Miss New York. The girls at this school were so open with me about their personal conflicts, situations with friends, etc. This was one of the first times I felt like I was really making an impact - as a peer, as a mentor. Sweet success.

Then later that evening I met up with Tim Morehouse, Olympic Silver Medalist Fencer. Or, something like that. More like friend, now. And we walked the red carpet at the Conde Nast "Hot List" party. I always love to go play with Tim (who encourages me whole-heartedly to attend birthday soirees for Olympians in the midst of near death illness - check out his facebook pic, those are my glasses that I wore out. Yeah, that bad). Whoa! Run-on. And I'm not even going to apologize.


Scott Buccheit, Kryptonyte Juice, LT, and Tim.


Anyhow, we met up with Scott Buccheit who always makes me giggle ... and Katrina Bowden from 30 Rock was there ... and Kat DeLuna ... and Melissa Haro SI Swimsuit Model ... Wah wah wee wah. The name-dropping continues and is beginning to make me cringe.

Truthfully, it's nice to just be able to kick back and relax with friends. And that is why this whole "networking" deal as Miss New York is awesome. Not necessarily the career advantages (hey! don't get me wrong, I like those, too) ... but the really neat friends I've made this year. I hope you have a single tear streaming down your face for me. Because that got really emo.

No comments: